How to Apply
Want to become a learner?
1. Contact us at 613-234-2494.
2. Meet with Dee or Karen for an assessment of your needs and goals.
3. When you are matched with a tutor, your tutoring sessions will be once a week, for two hours at a time that suits you both. You will be expected to complete approximately two hours of homework each week.
Are we right for you?
We’ll talk with you to see if our program meets your learning needs and goals. We have a checklist of what we look for in our assessment.
We can help you with:
Learner Eligibility Criteria
All Literacy & Essential Skills (LES) programs in Ontario have a list of Learner Eligibility Criteria. The Learner Eligibility Criteria helps both the learner and the program personnel decide if the LES program is the best one to help develop the essential skills necessary for the learner to reach his or her learning goals.
The following are the Learner Eligibility Criteria for People, Words & Change.
- be at least 19 years old
- live in Ontario
- be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or Convention Refugee
- need literacy and essential skills to find or keep a job
- need literacy and essential skills to move on to further education or training
- need literacy and essential skills to meet everyday needs
- have competent speaking skills in English (CLB 6 or higher in listening and speaking)
- be able to meet with a volunteer tutor for 2 hours a week and commit to regular and consistent attendance
- be willing to do at least 2 hours of independent homework a week between lessons
- demonstrate the ability to make progress
Still not sure?
Then contact 211; they’ll suggest the literacy program that suits your needs.